Pretty impressive statues for the doorway leading to a hair stylist.
Typical street: clean, bright, not as old in this section.
Hôtel des Pénitentes
Place du Tertre
La Maison d'Adam, with carvings showing the tree of life.
***The town has a formidable 13th-century Château built using black and white stones.
The moats at le Château d'Angers never held water, but did house exotic animals. Today they are filled with sculpted gardens.
Taking a break below the castle walls.
Angers was once inhabited by fierce Celtic peoples who tenaciously opposed Roman penetration. After the period of the Norman invasions (IX century) Fulk Nerra, Count of Anjou, had a castle built here. (Models are displayed in one of the towers. The king's residence, located in the lower right hand corner of these photos.)
This first stronghold was replaced by a better furnished architectural complex built by Louis IX, known as St-Louis, between 1228 and 1238, which was then further enlarged by Louis I of Anjou and under Louis II of Anjou, added a Gothic chapel. The court of René of Anjou, known as the Good, regent of Sicily and Jerusalem, resided here. A man of letters and benefactor of the local community, he was fond of fêtes and tournaments which were often held at the castle.
Karl at the main gate to the castle that opens to the old city.
The religious wars later led to the decline of the castle and Henry III ordered it to be demolished in 1585. The cylindrical towers of the pentagonal stronghold began to be torn down and the conical roof and the upper part were dismantled.
Family tree of the various kings through the centuries. This castle is sometimes called Château René.
Inside the Château is the longest (338 feet) and one of the finest medieval tapestries in the world. It tells the story of the Apocalypse, with battles between hydras and angels. The room used to display this tapestry is huge and very dark - not conducive for taking photos and no flash allowed.